BURPEES: FRIEND OR FOE?

Burpees

Who doesn't hate burpees? Me! LOL, but seriously, burpees are a tough workout, but they are one of the best and most effective workouts, because they work all the muscles in the body. Not only will you feel the burn during exercise, but the effects can still be felt the next day and the day after that. They are intense, and for a good reason! They exercise originated from the military.

Call me crazy, but i love burpees! Yes you read that right. I. LOVE.BURPEES. Are they difficult? Yes! Do they make me walk funny the next day? Yes! Am i crazy to be so in love with a tough workout? No! Let me explain....So what is a burpee? Definition: "a conditioning exercise in which a person squats, places the palms of the hands on the floor in front of the feet, jumps back into a push-up position, in some cases completes one push-up, returns to the squat position, and then jumps up into the air while extending the arms overhead." (Merriam Webster online dictionary).


Benefits of burpees

There are many benefits. I'll just list the few that i personally have experienced.1. Strength: Burpees greatly helped me strengthen my legs when i was recovering from an IT band injury caused by excessive running. They helped my injury heal faster and also strengthened my legs and glutes to prevent further injuries.
2. Fitness: Burpees helped me maintain my fitness during my two month + hiatus from running. When I started running again it was easier to get back to my previous futness level.
3. Speed: I realised that burpees helped me increase my speed when I started running again. I thought my running pace would dramatically reduce, but no! it was the same and after a week even faster than before. 
4. Toning: They helped tone my body. They helped me get and maintain my abs.
5. Acessible: Can be done by anyone, can be done anywhere. You don't need a gymn or any special equipment to do burpees. Its my best go to workout when I’m travelling and don’t have enough time for a run.
6. Fat loss: Burn calories in a shorter amount of time (and throughout the day) and also rev up your metabolism! Burpees basically turn your body into a fat burning machine.

How to do a burpee

1.  From a standing position get into a squat position with your hands on  the  floor in front of you
2.   Quickly drop down with your hands in front of you
3.   Kick your feet back into a push up position and drop your chest to the ground in a push up
4.   Pull your chest up, then return your feet back to the squat position as quickly as possible
5.   Immediately jump up into the air as high as you can

That’s how you do a burpee. Repeat as many times as you can until you are comfortable to do 10 in a row. It is very important that you maintain the correct posture as you are doing the burpee to avoid injuries.Burpees should be your best friend! Burpees love you! You should also show them some love. 
I hope I have somehow convinced you to give this amazing exercise a try. Who knows, you might end up loving and adding it to your workout routines. You don't have to do 50 burpees in a row. You can start with 10 and progress as your fitness levels improve. Give burpees a try You won’t regret the results ;). 

Have you tried burpees before? Do you love them or do you hate them? And why? Let me know in the comments below!


Stay healthy, Keep fit!


Comments

  1. I really have to convince myself to actually do burpees. but when I remember the benefits to my physical fitness, I get on with them and feel much better afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, focusing on the helath benefits is great for mitivation. Also, once your body gets used to them you won't struggle as much. As long as you do burpees on a regular basis you'll find that it gets easier :).

      Delete
  2. Though burpees definitely are exerting, they're definitely worth it! Talk about whipping yoiurself right into shape!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am absolutely terrible when it comes to burpees, I can do about two, and then I'm done. I can't do the jumps properly either, and I am going to the gym every day to work out. Just not to do burpees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I am not good at it but I know how great they are for my body health. You motivated me, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great workout. Isn't it so interesting how much burpees can help you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do NOT do burpees. Nope. I always avoid them and do another work out that is just as good!! I have this APP that gives me lots of alternatives so I am good to go! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phew! The last time I did burpees I couldn't feel my legs for days, it was intense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I have seen people do those. I think with the arthritis in my knees I would have a really hard time with this. I think I will stick to walking in the water and doing the elliptical. But I know this would be an intense workout for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honestly, the first time I did burpees for a week, I felt like quiting the gym. But I'll have to agree that it builds a thorough all-round body fitness. I'm more resilient now, thanks to them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The hardest workout, sometime, is the best. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love burpees too. It's great way exercise and there is so many benefits for it x

    Laura
    https://pinkfrenzymissl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts