FOOD INC.

Watching FOOD INC has convinced me to try organic foods. To be honest, at the beginning of this food and travel writing class, I had no hope that anything could be done about the situation with the American food industry because the problem seemed so overwhelming. Reading about the struggle or organic farms in Omnivores Dillema was insightful but left me really pessimistic about even trying to support the organic farmers. But watching and listening to farmers talk about their experiences in the film FOOD INC and seeing the cruelty towards animals was even more convincing and changed my mindset about the whole situation. From my point of view, Food Inc is a film specifically intended to incite viewers to start supporting the local organic farm industry by buying and eating local and organic foods and it worked for me. Unlike Omnivores Dilemma, which leaves the reader to make his or her own decision, Food Inc was straightforward in telling the viewer what to do. Personally, I was more convinced by this film than I was by the book.

The most important issues that I picked up from the movie are; the injustice towards famers, disrespect to animals and the environment, exploitation of consumers and food safety. I was really offended to learn how the agribusiness does not really appreciate or care for the farmers who help them rear animals and grow crops. They do not care for the consumers safety. Their main concern and motivation? To make a profit. What I got from this is the complete lack of compassion, it is like everything is becoming mechanized, instead of farms we have factories and the relationship between the big corporations and farmers and the consumers is pure selfish dealings. Everyone is trying to get the best that they can out of it without caring about the implication that their action this may have on the third party.

I had never really had a desire to eat organic before watching FOOD INC. After seeing the disrespect and cruel treatment of the farmers, animals and the environment, I was utterly disappointed and sad. I appreciated the individual interviews with the different farmers; hearing their experience from them was just poignant and the plea at the end of the film made me feel obliged to do something. I like eating and I believe that it’s only fair that people should have access to good and safe food. Organic and local farmers can and are willing to provide this but they are struggling due to the big bad agribusiness system. This partly influenced my idea for the perfect meal because not only did I want to eat something healthy, but I also wanted to try an all-organic meal as well as show my support to organic farmers.

I cannot say that this film changed my life and that I am only going to be eating organic meals from now on. Yes it had a great impact on me and increased my awareness of the exploitation and injustice of the food industry. I know that I can do something to help support the cause and that even a small effort counts. It isn’t a small problem we are trying to overcome and it will take time and effort to see satisfactory results but it is worth giving a try anyway.

Comments

  1. I had similar feelings after seeing the movie. Seeing the images of the farms and chicken houses is stomach churning and really makes you rethink your position on food. What's kind of sad is that this movie is not a huge hit. People stream to the theaters to see remakes of movies in 3d, but ignore Food Inc. which has real social value. It makes me pessimistic about serious changes ever occurring in the food industry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts