Process Writing

I love writing and I have always had a keen interest in writing courses. That was the main reason why i decided to take this class. As a budding writer know that I have to write as much as I can in order to become a better writer. I figured that this class would help improve my writing skills and it certainly did. I was excited because I was going to be writing about food, a topic that is also interested in. I thought it was just going to be a great and fun class, I never thought it would be as challenging as it turned out to be. It was a challenge that really changed the way I thought of my writing and helped me in my journey to becoming a good writer.

This was my first workshop class and I didn’t know much about writing workshops. I was also taking Creative Writing at the same time too were we also work shopped some of our writings but I was just learning some work shopping techniques from both classes. It did not take me long to master the techniques. However, by this time, I had read several pieces written by my classmates and it made my writing seem inadequate. This affected the way I participated in workshops, I felt like a hypocrite criticizing other people’s works when mine was just as bad and maybe even worse. This was my biggest challenge in this class as well as in my Creative Writing class. After contemplating on how I could overcome this challenge I realized two important things. By paying attention to the comments, which my classmates made on my writing as well as other people’s writings, I realized that my contribution was crucial because everyone had room for improvement in their writing. This changed the way I read people’s blogs, I wasn’t only reading the content but I looked at what the assignment required and I would try to make a comment that would help the writer address that aspect in their piece. Towards the end of the class, I felt more comfortable than I did at the beginning.

I had fun writing all the pieces for this class although I may not have effectively shown this because of my writing style. I am still working on it. My favorite piece was the memoir, Family Dinners. I enjoyed writing it because it is a topic that is really dear to me, my relationship with my family especially my mother. The most challenging piece was the restaurant review. This was simply because it was a new kind of writing to me. I don’t remember ever reading a restaurant review before taking this class. It required more specific detail to the structure than the other writings. Revising it was frustrating because I had so many things to work on from my first draft. I relied mainly on the comments from the workshop when revising it because the comments addressed the problems with the structure and clarity of the story. Despite the challenge, I really enjoyed the whole process of writing it. I learned how to write a restaurant review, a step up in my journey to being a good writer.

This has been a great class, not only has it helped me as writer, but it has contributed to my personal growth as well. At the beginning of the quarter, I was convinced I hated the idea of writing workshops; I had never work shopped any of my writing before and it made me uncomfortable. Now, I really think workshops are great, especially for a writer, after all you write for other people to read. There were some comments that I couldn’t use in my revisions, but for the most part, I found every comment very helpful. This class challenged me to write more in order to improve my writing skills. It also made me realize the importance of letting other people read and criticize and well as give suggestions to your work. I intend to keep my blog active and use it in my journey to becoming a better writer. I am confident that I will enjoy the next workshop class I take and also contribute fully.

Comments

  1. Thank you for your careful considerations here, Justina. I hope you are very proud of the work you did in this class. You are not the same writer I met in English 105 many moons ago. I'm glad you got to flex your wonderful storytelling muscles in this class!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts