WHY EAT OUT?

After reading “Is there a crisis in French cooking?” Adam Gopnik

and “Don’t Eat Before You Read This” by Anthony Bourdain, I was left thinking deep and questioning the whole idea of eating out. Bourdain clearly reveals the dark sides, the evils and secrets of the food industry unknown to common people who are eat out on a regular basis without knowing exactly how their food is being handled. Learning about this from a cook and some one who knows the food industry well, this actually renewed my aversion to eating out especially because I like my meat “well done”. I couldn’t believe the fact that, these cooks only care about their costs and profit at the risk of their customers’ health. However, I also considered the fact some people are restricted and they may find themselves in situations were they cannot afford even a well-cooked meal because of their demanding lives and maybe their inability to cook. This writing made me realize how people who eat out on a regular basis are really vulnerable and at the mercies of the cooks and all the people handling their food. My first reaction was “that’s it! I am never eating out again!” but then I realized that that is not really possible at least for now. I have become a big fan of Chinese take out and that’s is what I always eat whenever the cafeteria disappoints. I have heard horrible stories about from my friends who have supposedly taken a peek at the kitchen of this Chinese place. I am somehow disgusted and have never looked at the food the same way. But sometimes when I am really hungry and I don’t have any other option, I just eat it without thinking much about it. I guess the best that can be done is finding a balance between eating out and cooking your own meals. People should not be overly dependent on eating out, but rather, it should be an option, something that they can turn to just incase cooking at home is impossible or is getting boring and you need to eat something different for a change.

Adam Gopnik’s piece helped me further i realized that, eating out actually gives people a wide range of foods and introduces them to different cooking methods, which could further help their home cooked meals making them more interesting and varied. Eating out may have its costs and benefits for both the cooks and the customers but just like everything else, I think it should not something to be done on a daily basis, at least if you are really concerned with your health. Its true, cooks may know what’s good and bad for your health but the fact is, they did not become a cook to make sure you eat healthy. They are there to benefit from you , hence its only wise if the customers can wise up and find ways to benefit from eating out without being exploited.

Comments

  1. I had a very similar reaction when I read Toni's piece too. It really made me think about the barrier's that we have between ourselves and our food, especially here in America. I was practically addicted to chinese food last year even though I also heard horrifying stories about their kitchen and wasn't always sure if what I was eating was even chicken. I think that eating out really is about the dining experience and having someone prepare your food. This makes me really want to find more intimate restaurants where you can interact with the people who are making your food and create a connection there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the best solution is to find a balance between eating out and eating home-cooked meals. It is very disgusting to think about how food is handled in restaurant kitchens, but I can't help but think that maybe this isn't always the case. I might be naive in thinking this, but perhaps Bourdain's writing shows the exception, not the rule, so to speak. It is definitely something to think about, though, and I will definitely think twice next time I want to eat out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts