DINING AT MARTELL’S

Although it was recommended to me by a K-college alumni, I am not really sure if there are many K-college students familiar with this restaurant. It is located in a secluded area which is about a 10 -15 minute drive from K-college, on Greenleaf Blvd, Parkview Hills. It has beautiful scenery for anyone who appreciates a natural setting with a view of green tress and grass. I could only picture this beauty in my mind because unfortunately, I went thereon a snowy winter night. Through the large floor to ceiling glass windows of the dinning room, I could see and expanse of white where the pond is supposed to be. Another great feature of the restaurant, especially in the summer time, with ducks swimming around.

Martells is an upscale restaurant, It was a Saturday night and it was crowded, but we managed to find parking space easily and the friendly receptionist attended to us the moment we walked in. The reception area décor consists of a stone wall and tiled floor with a lot of soft green and brown colours, paitings on the wall and some dry flower arrangements, giving it a homey and elegant atmosphere. After comfirming our reservations, we were guided to our table. The dining room is carperted, and warmed by a fireplace, with dim lighting which gives it a kind of formal/ romantic atmosphere, which is why I wasn’t very surprised to find my econ professor, his wife dining with their friends. It looked like they were on a business meeting but I can’t be sure. The restaurant was filled with many adults with very few young people who looked like college students, there were a few children at family dinners tables though it was largely adults. Noise levels were at minimum; my friend and I could hold a conversation without being distracted but the music or chatter from the next table. I think what creates a comfy and private space for each table is the design of the Leather seats, which although connected, twist, and spiral to form a semi circle around each table.

All meals come with pieces of Tuscan bread and dipping oil sprinkled with some green herbs, which they served us, with glasses of water, which the waiters filled every time the levels went down. When the food finally arrived, it looked luscious and had a good flavor I didn’t even wait a long time before I dug into my lemon chicken with crispy potatoes. The taste and aroma was original, I loved the fact that it was not heavily covered in spice; I had half a chicken on my plate. The chicken Marsala ordered by my friend looked equally appetizing although he did not like the sauce, which had a bit too much of the caramel and he swore it had tasted different the last time he ate there. The chicken was also a bit too hard, and I had trouble with cutting off a piece to taste. My lemon chicken was soft and came with a dinner knife, which made it easier.

Their greens were well cooked, just the way I like them, the spinach wasn’t too soft and the green beans weren’t too crunchy, just like the chicken they also retained their original flavor, which made me believe that they were really fresh. The colors and presentation of the food was rich and appetizing. The natural colors gave the food an organic look even though some of the food had a different taste. I did not like the taste and texture of the skin of the crispy potato cubes. If there was music, it was at a vey low volume I barely noticed it. Before our food arrived, I caught a glimpse of the food on the next table, a plate of golden brown wedge potato fries, which really looked crispy and delicious. Other parts of the restaurant have the same atmosphere except the wine loft, which looks smaller, has more noise with high volume of music and even more dim lighting.

Their menus are quite varied with mostly American and Italian- sounding dishes like Penne Formagio, Frutti di mare, penne Arrabiata, Parpaddelle, Fettuccine. There is a wide choice of steak and prime ribs burgers, pasta and rissoto, a great place to get a taste of two different cultures for an international student like me. They also have a quite a large selection of sandwiches, burgers and pizzas, and most dishes even the Italian sounding ones are made with cheese, which made it a bit difficult for me to choose because I don t like cheese.

The price range is a quite high for a student, I did not see any student discounts although there was a valentine’s special going at $44 per couple with a complete three-course meal. It is a great deal compared to ordering each of the three courses separately, but definitely not a good deal for two students. So I was really glad to know that they could pack the remaining food in disposable containers for us to take home if we didn’t finish. The menus were long, detailed and had a lot of good choices; it took me a long time to settle on what I really wanted. But the waiters were really patient, friendly and helpful.

I was glad that we could a get a reservation as early as Saturday instead of Sunday considering that it is a small and upscale restaurant. It was a great first time dinning out experience, which also provided a private, comfortable and romantic setting, perfect for a date. It is definitely not a place where an average college student can frequent. I wouldn’t recommend it for students looking for social gathering or reunion because the ambiance is more romantic and business-like. But I think it definitely passes for one of the places to visit once in while, to get out of the k-bubble and have a different experience. I am hoping to go back again, maybe in the summer and see the full beautiful scenery, and get a second perspective on the restaurant. Who knows, maybe I will have a completely different experience.

Comments

  1. Hey Justina, this sounds like such a cool restaurant! I have never heard of it, it seems like a great choice, and I would totally try it out after reading your review. I think generally speaking the flow is really good. I might move the paragraph about the menu closer to the beginning before you talk about what you chose to order, and your experience eating it. I also really like the way you talk about and criticize the food (I think the detail about the chicken being different than the last tie your friend ate it is important). You also sound like a good food analyst, like you know what to look for in flavor and that makes you relatable and reliable to the reader which is awesome. Some other things to thing about are that overall I didn't really get a sense of your butt: there wasn't one particular sentence that stood out to me as ver opinionated or landing the restaurant on the pan to rave scale. Similarly, the last paragraph didn't really do this either... I was left thinking you had a medium experience but not quite clear about your stronger opinions of the pros and cons. Adding some stronger, more critical or more praising sentences might help with this :)
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justina,
    Your summary of the experience is quite good. You well "analyzed" the food and did a great job giving advice. However, I'm with Charlotte on this one, the review should be more opinionated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Charlotte, I had never heard of this restaurant before so it was very interesting to read your review. I felt that it had a lot of strong descriptions of food, but often I could not tell whether you had liked them or not. Also, I would have liked to see a price range and perhaps how difficult it was to get a reservation/how packed it was. Overall, really nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justina,

    I had problems finding "the but".I can feel your voice in the piece, but I'm not sure what is your final opinion about this restaurant, do you recommend it for its food or not? For me it was really easy to read. Your writting style is natural!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your descriptions of the food were great and the way you describe the tastes and textures of the food make you sound like a trustworthy critic with knowledge of the flavors. I think at times you got a little unorganized and some of your sentences could be rearranged. I also agree that you don't seem to ever take a strong stand on whether you recommend the restaurant or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like this restaurant was really classy! I thought that your descriptions of the food and the setting were really good, overall. I did think, however, that somethings could be moved around to make it clearer. I agree with Maria, it was hard to find the "butt."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely job with this review. I have never heard of this place so it was really nice to hear your opinion on it. I liked the amount of detail you used to describe the atmosphere of the restaurant. It wasn't so heavy that it took a focus off of the food, but was rather light and contemplative. I felt that it was important that you included these descriptions since the restaurant had a very specific feel to it that you described as romantic and businesslike. It was great that you kept the student and his or her budget in mind throughout this critique but still did a wonderful job describing the presentation and quality of the food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was really well written and descriptive. You described the atmosphere in great detail, and the food descriptions were good as well. The "but" seemed to come a bit late, though--I didn't really notice it until the end of the piece. You might want to consider moving it up in order to add context to the piece throughout? Other than that, great work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having been to this place a number of times growing up (it was called Black Swan until pretty recently), I think you did a great job of describing the place and the food. It's too bad you couldn't get a better view of outside, the big windows inside overlook a pretty lake. I enjoyed how you also talked about the prices in relation to a college student, something very important for an article like this. I also had a bit of trouble finding the "but" during the review. Overall, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with most everyone else when I say that I desire a little more direction from the article--a stand or decision would help me trust you as a reviewer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts